Honest Mum’s Top 10 Lunchbox Tips
- Get your kids involved with creating their lunch boxes from the shopping stage, asking them which ingredients and products they want for the week ahead.
- Prepare what you can the night before. I like to pack the lunchbox and keep it in the fridge as I know the mornings can be a rush. Perishable items such as dairy products must be kept cool and consumed within 4 hours of preparation. Always cool these in the fridge overnight before adding to the lunchbox.
- Place an ice pack in the lunch box to keep food cold and fresh. Not all schools have fridges for lunch boxes.
- Always ensure children are hydrated with water and give them a full water bottle each day and a carton of semi-skimmed milk too.
- Shop seasonally when it comes to fruit and veg, for instance soft fruit like strawberries in the spring and summer and satsumas and fresh dates (de stoned) in winter.
- Keep bread in the fridge to keep it fresh for longer.
- Vary the starchy carbohydrates you offer opting for wholegrain bread, pitta, crackers, wheat-free options, rice cakes, tortillas, pasta, potato or rice salads and savoury muffins.
- Always chop and de-seed items that could be a choking hazard including grapes, olives, apples etc.
- Watch high sugar content snacks like raisins and chocolate bars.
- Don’t forget a napkin or wet wipe to keep those hands clean!